- PositionFull-stack Developer
- ContractPermanent, full-time, 35 hours per week.
- Starting salary£30K - £40K depending on experience
- LocationYou can work from anywhere in the UK.
We can't hire anyone from outside of the UK due to employment laws.
- ExperienceA minimum of 2 years industry experience with a product or agency background.
- StatusAccepting applications
Etch is looking for UK-based candidates with industry experience from a product or agency background.
We work closely with teams from established brands to design web-based tools and services. Using a Lean approach we create Design Systems, APIs, Progressive Web Apps, and partner with clients to improve their businesses over time.
In our tenth year, we’re hiring another technically-minded maker who is looking to apply their skills across Front and Back End development.
In a traditional product team, people work on a single stack for years at a time, and it can be hard to feel a sense of progression. At a busy agency, there’s often a high churn of projects, with less opportunity to learn and improve.
At Etch, we work with just a handful of companies, each with its own objective and tech stack. This opens us to a wide knowledge base, solving problems in different frameworks and industries, whilst being able to apply what we’ve learned in different contexts.
Our processes and tools can change to suit each client, but we take the same lean approach on every project – using our time and expertise to add the most value we can.
We’re a small team, but we punch above our weight, producing work that rivals the output of larger agencies. Each member is self-driven and has the desire to make better software. We care about our craft, and we’re always learning.
About the job
We believe the best results are achieved when people are given the time to truly understand the problem they are solving. We don’t have dedicated sales people or project managers, so our whole team is involved from start to finish. We take our time to dig into the detail, before working together to decide on features to design and how to build them.
There are plenty of opportunities to be involved at every stage in a project, to expand your knowledge of how products take shape – from inception to execution.
As a full-stack developer at Etch, you’ll be scoping out new apps and features, building front-end components, scaffolding GraphQL APIs and terraforming new servers. If there’s an area that particularly interests you, you’ll have the freedom to dig in and become the team expert.
As a distributed team, we’re not always in the same place at the same time. Great written communication is key, documentation and planning are part of the day-to-day.
Here’s some work we’ve completed in 2022 to give you a sense of what you’ll be doing:
- Created a design system to help a pet insurance company rebrand its touchpoints.
- Worked on an internationalisation project, for a crowdfunding company, to improve their sign-up process and prepare for a launch in Europe.
- Built a public GraphQL API for a Recycling organisation, that will be consumed by companies and local authorities around the UK.
- Conducted a security audit for a financial startup.
- Prototyped a new quote journey for a travel insurance brand.
- Shipped another new feature on a study planning app that we built 5 years ago for a global accountancy body.
- Became members of the UI and Accessibility Council at one of our clients.
- Gave a talk about Design Systems at a client’s conference.
- Met up in the countryside for pub walks and axe throwing.
- Arranged a team trip to Amsterdam for a 2-day conference.
If you’re interested in the end-to-end process of building web software with experienced teammates, then this is the place for you.